Who’s resolving to start the day with healthier breakfasts this year? Let us know! We want to see how you’re working towards all your 2016 goals with the hashtag #ViveLaResolution. Whether it’s a nutritious meal, a new skill you’re developing, or a healthy habit, post it on Instagram with the hashtag and tag @camillestyles in the image. We’ll be regramming our favorites throughout the month so we can inspire each other!
A highlight of our Hawaii trip in October was the gorgeous açai bowl I ordered at the open air café down the street from our hotel every morning. A vibrant fruit smoothie base was topped with gorgeous rows of coconut flakes, sliced banana, nuts, berries, and honey — after admiring its beauty for 1.5 seconds, I gave into my cravings and demolished it. I’ve been making something similar since we got home, but now that winter has finally descended on Austin, I’ve definitely been craving something warmer and cozier. Enter this oatmeal-quinoa power bowl to save the day.
I’ve loved oatmeal for as long as I can remember — I used to eat it for dinner when I was in college thanks to its healthy/cheap/delicious qualities. I still start many of my days with a big bowl of steel-cut oats, and what makes this version a powerhouse is the addition of quinoa for an extra dose of protein and iron. If you’re serving lots of people, it’s fun to set out little bowls full of all the toppings and let everyone build their own colorful creations with their favorite flavors. I used sliced banana, toasted walnuts, pomegranate seeds, toasted coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, and cinnamon. You could pour some almond milk over it, but I double dog dare you to drizzle a little cream on top — the tiniest bit just makes it so darn good.
I’d love to hear what healthy breakfasts y’all are cooking up this month! Leave a comment or post it on Instagram, and don’t forget to use our #ViveLaResolution hashtag so we can all check it out!
*photos by Kate LeSueur
- 3/4 cups steel cut oats
- 1/4 cups quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- kosher salt
- toppings: pomegranate seeds, sliced banana, pumpkin seeds, toasted walnuts, coconut flakes, almond milk or cream, maple syrup, cinnamon
- Rinse the quinoa and oats in a mesh strainer. Shake out excess water, and place in a small saucepan.
- Add water, almond milk, and generous sprinkling of sea salt to saucepan. Bring to a boil, uncovered.
- Once boiling, immediately reduce heat to low and cover partially. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure quinoa and oats aren’t sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Divide between 4 bowls, and add desired toppings in pretty rows. Eat!