As warming and comforting as sweet breakfasts can be, I often crave something really crisp in the morning. You may think salad for breakfast sounds crazy, but I promise it’s the most nurturing thing to start off your day. Especially if you’ve maybe had one too many glasses of wine the night before – this salad will surely bring you back to life.
The peppery arugula and runny egg is like a wheatgrass shot to your system. Sometimes I’ll throw in some avocado or even leftover quinoa – whatever you have in the fridge will work. Top it with an egg (poached, soft, fried – you choose) and you have the most satisfying, light and savory breakfast that couldn’t be easier to throw together.
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 cups baby arugula
- 4-5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 oz. shaved parmigiano reggiano
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 garlic clove, pasted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Add sliced almond to a baking sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool
- Prepare a small bowl with ice water. In a medium saucepan, bring 4-5 cups of water to a boil. Once boiling, carefully add eggs (making sure they are completely covered with water), then boil for exactly six minutes. Remove from heat and add to a ice bath.
- In a small jar or bowl, whisk together first four dressing ingredients. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking while you pour. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add arugula, radishes, cooled + sliced almonds, and shaved parmesan. Dress greens, using your hands to coat well. Add (carefully) shelled soft boiled eggs to top, and enjoy!
Share this Post