I truly love a savory breakfast — it’s no secret that I always love an avocado toast (like this one!), and I’ve been wanting to share my favorite “breakfast salad” recipe on here for a while. But the produce lately has been so gorgeous, I thought I’d set aside my avocado toast for something a little more seasonal. Since the Jersey beefsteak tomatoes are in their prime right now, I chose to make a savory tartine with it as the star — it’s as simple as it is delicious, while taking full advantage of summer’s bounty. If you’re in the mood for a little something extra, I recommend putting an egg on this one.
Savory Breakfast Tartine
- 4 pieces whole-grain bread
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, sliced thin
- 1/2 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons dill, roughly chopped
- Extra Virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Toast slices whole-grain bread, then while warm, rub garlic clove over each piece of toast.
- Spread mustard over each bread slice, then layer with thinly sliced cucumber, heirloom tomato slices and a sprinkle of chopped dill. Continue with each until you have four tartines.
- Drizzle a good extra virgin olive oil over each tartine, top with flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.