Valentine’s Day is one of the sweetest holidays to celebrate with kiddos. Growing up, it was one of my favorite holidays, and it had nothing to do with romance – it was because my Mom always used the day to make us feel like we were the most important little people in her life. She did small things throughout the day to make it extra special for our family, and then would host a Valentine’s party for our friends. While my four-month-old is a bit too young to appreciate it, you better believe we’re going to make it a habit of celebrating the month of love, in simple, sweet ways. You don’t have to spend a lot (hello, dollar section at Target!) to show your kids how special you think they are.
Bonus: by celebrating them, you’re teaching them how to celebrate others in their lives.
Read on for a few ideas on how to make this heart-filled day a extra special for your littlest loves.
featured image: thelovedesignedlife
Tell Them All the Things You Love About Them
Starting with the most important one of all – let your little ones know how much you love them! We love the idea of decorating their door so they wake up to a special surprise. Write your favorite things about them on paper hearts you pin on their door. image:juciachong
Start the Day With a Love-Themed Breakfast
- Get fancy with some special toast: try these strawberry themed ones or whip out your cookie cutter for these heart shaped avocado toasts
- Twist up some heart-shaped bacon
- Whip up fun pancake stacks, heart shaped or XO pancakes (adding Valentine’s Day sprinkles is a bonus!). We love this healthy pink pancake recipe that gets it’s pink tone from strawberries & beets!
- Think pink and red: serve raspberries, strawberries, cherries, red grape and pomegranate seeds.
- Blend up a strawberry smoothie with a twist
- Your kids will have fun stuffing these no-sew heart pillows
- Whip up some adorable candy-free valentines cards
- Keep it simple with these sweet hand-shaped valentines (grandparents will love getting this one!)
- Make the yummiest pink popcorn treats
- Sweet and cute thumbprint valentines
- Colorful translucent hanging crayon hearts
- Suds up some heart shaped soap
- Make some Valen-SLIME
- Craft some poppable confetti crackers
- Make these loveable pom-pom monsters
- Pucker up with these Valentine’s Day chapsticks
Gift Them Something Fun
It doesn’t have to be anything large or extravagant! It can be something cute to wear to school, a race car, hair accessory or new art supplies! See below for our favorite affordable picks from Target. And as we all know by now, in a pinch, the Target dollar section always comes through.