1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 TB granulated sugar
1 tsp freshly grated orange peel
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tb cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup chocolate chips -- semisweet or bittersweet
2 Tb granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tb heavy cream
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, 3 Tb sugar, orange peel, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter, or your fingers, blend in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Whisk together cream and egg yolk. With a wooden spoon, mix cream into flour/butter mixture until it just comes together. If mixture feels too dry, you can add a bit more cream, but do not let mixture get too wet.
4. On a well-floured counter, or on a piece of plastic wrap, knead dough one or two times to form a semi-smooth ball. Pat out dough into a 6" round, approximately 1 1/2 " thick.
5. Cut into 6 wedges or 8 if you want smaller scones. Place on parchment lined baking sheet approximately 2" apart.
6. Bake scones until golden, about 12-15 minutes. While scones are baking, combine topping ingredients in a small bowl.
7. Transfer baked scones to a wire cooling rack. While still warm, brush with topping.
Share this Post