See more from Carrie Waller’s Two-Person Thanksgiving here.
Sweet Potato Soup
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sweet potatoes (roughly 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Heat oil in a large pot, or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add the diced onion and shallot, and season with salt and pepper. Cook 6-7 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in stock, paprika, sweet potatoes, and cinnamon, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Purée the mixture using an immersion blender, or in batches using a traditional blender. Season the soup with salt and pepper, and serve with fresh bread.