Woke up to a sunny New York sky this morning, a morning of meetings ahead before hopping a plane back to Austin (and Phoebe… it’s going to be so hard not to wake her up with kisses tonight when I get home!) I haven’t been to the city in almost a year, so I’m trying to squeeze in as many great new restaurants as possible in a less-than-48-hour period. Last night was Italian feasting at Il Buco Alimentari e Vineria… have any of y’all been? Homemade gnocchi, braised short rib and a shaved beet & ricotta salad that I can’t wait to recreate at home. Planning my NYC eating adventures reminded me of the divine roasted carrot and avocado salad that I had at ABC Kitchen on my last trip here. The creamy avocado, spicy-sweet carrots and crunchy nuts of this dish left an indelible print on my mind, and last week when I found myself with a vegetable drawer full of heirloom baby carrots, I decided to make my own version. The cumin-roasted carrots are addictive on their own… but combined with the other ingredients and a fresh meyer lemon vinaigrette, they’re magic. Keep reading for the recipe…
Cumin-Roasted Carrot & Avocado Salad
- 20 baby carrots, stems still attached
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 avocados
- 2 cups watercress, rinsed & dried
- 1/4 cup marcona almonds, roughly chopped
- juice & zest of 1 lemon (preferably meyer)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a foil-lined baking sheet, toss carrots with 1 tablespoon olive oil, cumin, salt & pepper. Roast until tender (about 25 minutes.) Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover golden raisins with hot water and let stand for at least 10 minutes to plump. Drain.
- Remove peel and seed from avocados, then slice into thin wedges. On each of four plates, divide roasted carrots, then top with avocado slices and a handful of watercress.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest and minced garlic. Slowly whisk in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle each salad with vinaigrette, then sprinkle with golden raisins and marcona almonds. Sprinkle a little more sea salt, to taste.
Share this Post
The medley of colors is gorgeous!
I love roasted carrots! Avocados and almonds make the salad perfect. I’m excited to try this recipe.
Love the photos can’t wait to try this recipe.
You’ve already found a way to continue the avocado recipes! 🙂
This looks incredible. I can’t wait to try it!
Thanks ladies – this is definitely my new go-to lunch! Let me know what you think if you give it a try…and if you put any new twists on it! xo
Yumm! Great little salad that so different what I usually eat….I’m going to ask my hubby to make this for me! He loves to try new recipes! I Love avocado!
I’m making this this weekend. Delicious!