In Dallas there’s an old urban myth that we love: supposedly the ac bills go up every year in the fall because the ladies are that dedicated to wearing fall fashions as soon as they hit the racks at Neimans. All joking aside, it’s an annual fashion crisis in Texas. The weather in September (and even October) is still just too sweltering to wear the fall looks we’re so, so excited about. In Austin we have what I like to call a “faux fall” — a quality of light and even some foliage that looks like fall, but that crisp cool air is typically nowhere to be found. Over the years I’ve gotten pretty creative about how to incorporate my excitement for the season into looks that are actually wearable (without the astronomical electric bill). Read on for my 13 tricks for incorporating fall themes into your wardrobe when it’s still muggy outside and remember: stay cool, y’all.
featured image from vogue
1. Pair a burgundy felt hat with your favorite black cotton dress.
2. Slip into silk separates in a rich hue.
3. Trade in your straw tote for a duffel in rich vegan leather.
4. Rock a pair of green wellies with your favorite cut offs.
5. Add a velvet choker to your favorite tank top.
6. Tie a black ribbon around the collar of your favorite summer blouse.
7. Go for dark florals in a light fabric.
8. Rock a pair of black mary janes with bare legs.
9. Add a dash of black-and-white gingham.
10. Cut the sleeves off last year’s cotton turtleneck.
11. Add a suede tassel to your favorite handbag.
12. Trade in your denim mini for a corduroy one.
13. Wear a silk scarf around your neck with your favorite white tee.
Share this Post