The beginning of a new season is my favorite time to do a wardrobe refresh. Getting dressed feels so much more exciting when I change it up from my usual go-to’s and inject my look with a dash of newness. Even with something as simple as a new accessory or shoe, updating your wardrobe sparks new outfit ideas and style combinations you might not have thought of before.
If you’re feeling a bit blah about everything in your closet these days, chances are you’re stuck in the depths of a style rut.
The good news? These 5 stylist tricks will help you get out of your comfort zone and into feeling excited about your wardrobe. You’ll be amazed at the difference you’ll feel getting ready, and the confidence you’ll have throughout the day just by wearing an outfit you love. Read on for some easy and affordable ideas that will infuse variety into your outfits without having to completely overhaul your closet this spring.
1. If you always wear earrings, accessorize with a headband or hair pin instead.
Both headbands and hair pins were everywhere on the Spring 2019 runways. Prada, Chanel, Gucci, Dior, Givenchy, and many more all had their own take on hair accessories this season. My suggestion is to invest in a versatile style that can easily match back to several outfits you already own. You don’t want to feel like you have to create a new outfit to incorporate your new purchase! Jennifer Behr makes some of my most coveted hair accessories this season.
2. If you always wear skinny jeans, switch it up with some vintage-inspired styles.
High rise, straight cut denim with less of a stretch is definitely the it-style of the season. This cut is universally flattering and can be dressed up with a heeled mule or worn casually with a sneaker for daytime. Basically every denim brand has its own version of this style, so my tip is to search your personal favorite brand and try a few pairs on until you find the best fit. My personal favorites are by Re/Done, a brand who creates new styles exclusively out of vintage Levi material.
3. If you always have an arm full of jewelry, refresh it with some shell bracelets.
Ocean-inspired gems that bring back memories of childhood beach vacations have taken on a more elevated twist this season. My current favorites are by jewelry designer Tohum and can be found on Netaporter. I added the gold plated Puka shell bracelet to my daily stack of gold bangles and get compliments regularly!
4. If you always wear heels, add a sculptural heel style.
Cult Gaia has beautiful pairs for Spring- their pieces are always artful and pay close attention to detail. This heel has been making a splash on the street style scene lately, and is set to be a big trend. I recommend swapping your spiky heel aside this Spring for this more interesting style!
5. If you always wear lace or patterns, experiment with this season’s latest take – crochet.
Everything from bathing suits to maxi dresses to bags–designers can’t get enough of crochet lately. Ulla Johnson’s Spring 2019 collection included several beautifully crafted crochet pieces. It is the perfect material for Spring as it is breathable and light. Because of its artisanal feel, pair it with some minimalist metallic gladiator sandals to balance the look.
My daily go-to’s for outfit inspiration:
1. Pinterest – I can get lost for hours on Pinterest searching specific topics, scrolling through “similar” suggestions, and creating inspiration boards.
2. Vogue.com runway coverage – I really enjoy pouring over runway shows every season to get a feel for what is coming up in fashion, as well as outfit ideas for styling clients and myself.
3. @who.wear.what – I love the curated outfit inspiration accounts on Instagram that have been popping up lately. They remind me more of Pinterest and include more of a variety of looks.
Share this Post