Summer fruit is giving me life these days. Whether it’s raw, baked or preserved, I truly can’t get enough. This blueberry ricotta cake is the perfect way to highlight summer berries & serve a gorgeous, crowd-pleasing sweet. While it’s technically a “cake”, we highly suggest you give it a try for breakfast. After all, summer’s for enjoying the simple things in life — just call it a “breakfast cake” and no one will know the difference.
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 1/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar (+ 2 tablespoons to top)
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, close to room temperature (not chilled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Zest of 2 lemons
- confectioner's sugar, to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together first six ingredients (dry ingredients) until well combined. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together almond milk, coconut oil, ricotta, vanilla & egg yolks. Set egg whites aside &HJ chill for 10 minutes. Mix wet ingredients into the dry until combined well. Stir in blueberries and lemon zest, then set aside.
- Grease a 9 inch cast-iron or springform pan with coconut oil. Add chilled egg whites into a stand mixer and whip on high speed for 1-2 minutes until fluffy with soft peaks. Fold whipped egg whites, into the batter, adding a little at a time, making sure not to overmix.
- Add batter to your greased pan, top with 2 tablespoons raw sugar & bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick entered into the center of the cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 20-25 minutes before serving. Top with confectioners sugar & serve!
Share this Post
This cake looks so delicious. I would definitely eat it for breakfast!
It looks beautiful. I can’t resist anything with blueberries in.
The cake looks and sounds delicious and that serving spoon is gorgeous!
this is beautiful and i love your ingredients. I look forward to making it for company some day!
Thanks for the recipe- nice ingredient choice. yum 🙂
Stunning! I’m expecting to get some peaches and blueberries at the market tomorrow, so I will have to make this little number. I’m curious about how the sorghum flour will taste since I’ve never used it before!
Oh wow that looks absolutely delicious! I was actually just about to get ready to leave my house to buy some ricotta, no word of a lie! This is perfect, and I can’t wait to try it!
Love Sassy Kitchen, her recipes are awesome =)
This skillet cake looks beautiful and sounds delicious! I need to try this! Pinning.