- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 c light brown sugar
- 2 pounds plums, pitted and cut into 8 wedges each.
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c milk
- Preheat oven to 350. In a 9? iron skillet, melt 4 Tbs butter and add brown sugar. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture comes together into a caramel-like sauce. Turn off heat and arrange plum wedges in concentric circles. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the remaining stick of butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, until light and fluffy, then beat in the vanilla. Scrape own the sides of the bowl periodically as you go.
- Beat in the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the milk.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold firm peaks. Carefully fold about 1/3 of egg whites into the batter to lighten it and loosen it up, then fold in the remainder, being careful not to deflate the batter.
- Spread the batter over the plums in the skillet and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Allow cake to cool for about 10 minutes, then invert onto a large cake platter (if you wait to long to invert, the caramel will harden and the cake will stick to the pan)
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Delicious with lightly sweetened whipped cream, creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream.
Share this Post