Cookbooks are one of my greatest passions in life. In each episode of Tastemakers, I go behind the scenes with the authors of my very favorite cookbooks and uncover their stories, what makes them tick, and the secrets to making mouthwateringly delicious food. Let’s get into it with Stephanie Izard of Top Chef, Iron Chef, and James Beard award-winning fame. Yep, she’s won ’em all.
As you’ll learn in the video above, I’ve been a fan girl of Stephanie’s for years, so it was undoubtedly a major highlight of 2018 to have the chance to cook alongside her in our studio kitchen. Hope you love this episode as much as I loved making it, and scroll on to get the recipe for the Smoked Salmon Toast with Chile-Lime Vinaigrette that Stephanie and I made together.
for the smoked salmon cream cheese spread:
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces good-quality thinly sliced smoked salmon
- kosher salt and pepper
for the chile-lime vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sambal oelek
- kosher salt
for the toast
- 1 pound fresh salmon fillet
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 baguette
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup shaved fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 cup blackberries, quartered
1. Mix the cream cheese spread: In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a spoon, mix the cream cheese until smooth. Add the smoked salmon in small pieces and incorporate well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together the lime juice, oil, fish sauce, and sambal oelek in a medium bowl and season to taste with salt.
3. Make the salmon: Season the fresh salmon on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat and cook, turning once, to medium well, 6 minutes per side. Set aside to cool before removing the skin.
4. Make the toast: Slice the bread on the bias into 1-inch thick slices. Butter both sides of each slice and toast in a pan over medium heat until golden brown and crunchy, 4 minutes per side. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
5. Schmear one side of the bread slices with the smoked salmon cream cheese. Break apart the cooked salmon with your fingers into small chunks. Scatter the pieces on top of the cream cheese.
6. In a medium bowl, toss the arugula, fennel, mint, sorrel, and blackberries with a splash of the chile-lime vinaigrette. Top the salmon with the dressed salad and serve.