My friend Walter makes the best bread I’ve ever tasted. He grows the yeast, mills the flour, and combines it all with salt and water to create a slow-fermented sourdough that truly doesn’t belong in the same category as the pre-sliced quick breads found in grocery stores. A loaf doesn’t last longer than a day or two in our house, and when it’s finally shrunken down to just a few inches of thickness, I always chop it up to throw into this recipe: my kale sourdough panzanella.
The rest of the ingredients skew a little more Mediterranean, especially when you throw in cubes of salty, creamy, feta cheese. I borrowed the dressing recipe from Ina Garten, and it’s the perfect light vinaigrette to coat the salad. I’d say that overall, this dish is a great representation of how I like to eat — refreshing and veggie-ful, but never without quality bread and cheese!
Walter’s sourdough can currently be purchased on a first-come-first-served basis via his website. It’s then delivered straight to your house, so if you live in Austin, I highly recommend giving it a try. Just be warned, you’ll never be able to go back to the store bought stuff!
Scroll down for the recipe below, and be sure to try this one out soon! It’s especially great for making a big batch and serving family style. On the day that we photographed this panzanella, the rest of the Camille Styles team quite literally inhaled it within minutes. It’s that good.
- 3 or 4 thick slices sourdough, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 bunch lacinto kale, chopped and massaged with olive oil
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced into half-circles
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, cubed
- dijon garlic vinaigrette (below)
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil. Add the cubed sourdough and a sprinkle of salt, then cook over low-to-medium heat for 10 minutes, tossing frequently, until the bread is nicely toasted.
- While the bread is toasting, prepare the dressing (below.)
- In a serving bowl, combine the kale, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, feta and toasted sourdough. Top with dressing and toss to combine.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Simple whisk all ingredients together.