photographed by chanel dror
One of my favorite meals from back home was homemade chalupas, made with tortillas we rolled out and cooked ourselves, black beans, occasionally chicken, and this yummy pineapple salsa. For this occasion, I changed it up by using bite-sized lettuce boats instead of the tortilla for a lighter alternative. This salsa stays good for days in an airtight container, so you can get creative with your leftovers!
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and thinly diced (think pico de gallo size)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly diced
- 1/4 c thinly sliced cilantro
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp adobo chipotle sauce, from a can
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, prepared the way you like them - this is a good recipe!
- 1 head of romaine hearts, washed
- optional: if your pineapple isn't as sweet as you'd like, you can add a pinch of brown sugar into the salsa
- Prepare the black beans in a saucepan the way you like them.
- Combine and toss together the diced pineapple, red bell pepper, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, adobo chipotle sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and optional brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- Chop the romaine hearts into bite-sized boats, fill with black beans, and then top with pineapple salsa.
Share this Post