*photography by Molly Winters
For the steaks
- 2 12-oz NY strip steaks
- 1/2 cup finely ground coffee
- 1/2 cup brute cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Mix the ground coffee, cocoa powder and kosher salt in a bowl.
- Heavily rub each steak with the mixture.
- Cook on grill for 4 minutes on each side, until medium-rare.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let cool before thinly slicing.
For the salad
3 lbs carrots, preferably baby carrots for a better presentation
2 whole avocados, cut into large wedges
Crumbled feta cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
- Poach carrots in simmering water until tender but not falling apart. The carrots should still have a little crunch to them. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, halve the carrots lengthwise and char in a cast iron pan until blackened.
- Toss the charred carrots with all crumbled feta cheese, cilantro leaves, chopped parsley, lemon juice, lime juice and EVOO to taste.
- Plate salad and top with steak and avocado wedges.
For the pickled red onion
- 1 onion
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- Slice onion into thin shavings
- Toss with all other ingredients
- Let sit for 25 minutes