This banana bread with crushed walnuts is a local favorite at Two Hands in NYC. Pair it with a delicious yet strong cup of java for the ultimate morning pick me up.
Be sure to read the full Tastemakers feature story with Two Hands’ owners Henry and Giles here!
Two Hands NYC Banana Walnut Bread
For the bread:
- 9 eggs
- 5 tbs yoghurt
- 5 C milk
- 450g butter, melted
- 600g sugar
- 15kg GF flour
- 6tsp baking soda
- 11 bananas
- pinch of maldon
- 5 C walnuts, crushed (plus more for top) Desiccated coconut, for top
For the espresso mascarpone:
- 1 tub mascarpone, cold 12 shots espresso
- 1 C confectioners sugar
- Puffed buckwheat
- Whisk eggs, yoghurt and milk together in a bowl. Add sugar and melted butter.
- Continue to whisk until sugar has dissolved. Mix in flour, baking soda, salt and bananas.
- Whisk until flour is totally combined. Fold through walnuts.
- Grease bread tins. Divide batter evenly and top with crushed walnuts and desiccated coconut.
- Bake for approximately 1h 20mins or until cake tester comes out clean.
- With a mixer, slowly whip the mascarpone.
- Once the mascarpone has softened, add the espresso and the confectioners sugar. Tip: It is important that you don’t over-whip the mascarpone. It will split. If you under whip the mascarpone, it will be too loose to sit on the banana bread. The mascarpone must remain cold at all times.
- Slice banana bread and lie on a plate. Top with espresso mascarpone, puffed buckwheat and honey.
Share this Post