My love affair with figs started just a few months ago after trying them for the first time (I know, late to the game) and now I’m doing my best to make-up for lost time by including them in just about everything I make — which is totally doable given their mildly sweet and versatile flavor. Not only are these small fruits delicious, they also have a string of added health benefits such as being a a natural aid in lowering blood pressure due to their high amounts of potassium as well as an excellent source of dietary fiber. Score! Coupling my newfound fig obsession with the beginning of fall — this slightly sweet and decadent vanilla fig smoothie. So as not to overpower the figs’ taste and natural sweetness, these shakes have no added sugars and are instead sweetened only by the figs themselves and a small amount of coconut oil. I did add a pinch of sugar to the cinnamon whipped cream, but it can easily be omitted. When making these for a larger fall gathering, it’s a good idea to prepare the rimmed glasses beforehand, but otherwise these are shockingly easy to whip up. It’s mostly just throwing everything into a blender, which is just the type of recipe I like when it comes to easy entertaining. Happy (almost) fall!
photography by Ashleigh Amoroso
Vanilla Fig Smoothie
- 3/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds, soaked
- 3 figs
- crushed ice
- honey, for garnish
- chopped pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Combine vanilla greek yogurt, cashew milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract, pumpkin seeds, figs, and crushed ice in a blender. Mix until smooth. For a creamier smoothie, add more cashew milk.
- Dip the rim of your glass into honey, then roll in chopped pumpkin seeds for a pretty garnish. Place the glass in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Place thin slices of figs around the bottom of the glass, then add the smoothie mixture. Enjoy! (Tip: Pour the smoothie directly into the middle of the glass, as to not move the fig slices)
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Whisk all ingredients together until the cream reaches stiff peaks.