I’m always on the hunt for dishes that are packed with nutrition, can be easily reheated, fit a variety of dietary needs, and most importantly, are incredibly delicious. Especially since several of my friends are either vegetarian or gluten-free. Good news y’all—this vegetarian chili checks off every single box.
And while finding a chili recipe that satisfies everyone (carnivores included!) is nothing short of a miracle, what’s perhaps even more amazing is finding cookware that satisfies all your kitchen needs. Enter: the Staub Stackable 4-Piece Set. Whether I’m using the Dutch oven to whip up one of my favorite one-pot meals (this chili included) or making my go-to baked pasta in the braiser, I love knowing I have a set I can rely upon for making all of my dinners— and breakfast, and lunch—dreams come true.
This sweet potato and black bean chili is on my short list of go-to’s when I need to deliver dinner to a friend who’s sick or just had a baby. It’s packed with hearty black beans, flavorful veggies, and loads of spices (plus, all those toppings) so no one will miss the meat. And did I mention the incredible amount of plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals contained in this bowl? I always make enough of this to feed the fam for dinner, provide leftovers for lunch the next day, and maybe even freeze a batch for a future meal.
If you know me, you know I fall hard for appliances and tools that solve any and every possible kitchen headache. I love that this set can nest to fit in one tidy stack, so you don’t have to sacrifice precious storage space. What’s more, this entire set comes ready to use, so you don’t have to worry about pre-seasoning your pots and pans before putting these pieces to work. But here’s the kicker: because each piece boasts an undeniably gorgeous enamel finish, you’ll have no problem taking these straight from the kitchen to the table. Get ready for many a show-stopper meal to come.
So when I want to send a little love to a friend in need of a hot meal, or I’m in need of a quick, healthy (and easy) dinner, this vegetarian chili recipe is always my go-to. And the toppings are key with this dish—avocados, cheese, cilantro, green onions, limes, and tortilla chips are a must.
Shop the Staub Stackable 4-Piece Cast Iron Set — exclusively at Williams-Sonoma.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- zest and juice of one orange
- toppings: sliced avocado, goat cheese or cheddar cheese, green onions or cilantro, jalapeño, sliced radishes, tortilla chips
- In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sweet potato, onion and bell pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, chile powder, and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir it all together. Add tomatoes, black beans, honey, zest, juice, and 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, until the sweet potato is very tender.
- Check for seasoning and add more salt and chili powder as needed. Divide among bowls, add toppings, and eat!
*This chili can be made the night before and refrigerated. Reheat over low heat on the stove. Also freezes great!
Share this Post