Shop owner Wendi Koletar is a woman who inspires many adjectives: “She’s such a visionary,” “Wendi’s a total BOSS,” and “She has the best taste of anyone, ever,” are just a few of the descriptions I got when asking some of our mutual friends about the owner of style mecca Kick Pleat. With a gorgeous new 3,400-square foot home in downtown Austin and the opening of Kick Pleat Houston, it seemed to be the perfect time to find out more about this busy mama of two’s morning rituals and must-haves for getting ready for the day. Click through to find out the healthy habit that fosters mindfulness, as well as the chic pieces that make up her daily uniform (we’re taking notes!)
*photos by kate lesueur
What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
Start the coffee. My son is an early riser and always wakes me up before I’m ready to get out of bed. The coffee makes it all possible.
What do you eat for breakfast?
I make an egg and cheese breakfast taco or Greek yogurt with Purely Elizabeth granola. A smoothie is also a possibility.
In Wendi’s smoothie:
Bananas are the foundation of a good smoothie. An easy combo is banana, frozen blueberries, almond butter and almond milk. I add other fruit or kale if I have it. The kale just dissolves and you can’t even taste it. Then you’ve fit in a leafy green for your day.
What’s your favorite getting-ready soundtrack?
The soundtrack depends on the day. If I want some energy I go to rap, hip hop, or R&B. Some other of my favorites right now include Rock en español, Brazilian, or some 70’s easy listening music.
Do you workout in the morning?
I usually go for a run or walk in the neighborhood, as it’s a way to fit it into my schedule. The important thing is making it happen, so I make it easy and just leave my front door. I also go to yoga at Breath and Body.
How long does it take you to get ready from start to finish?
If I’m not showering, 10-15 minutes. My process includes:
- Face wash and moisturizing with Aesop face oil
- Skinceuticals tinted sunscreen, mascara and Benefit tinted color for cheeks
- Comb hair. If all is good, I’ll wear it down. If not, it’s in a low pony.
- Get dressed and go!
What’s your healthiest morning habit?
I do a 20 minute meditation in the living room when people are asleep, or in my bedroom when people are outside. The challenge at my house is finding a quiet moment and some privacy but I make it happen. The practice is secular and the goal is simply to be present and aware. I focus on breath to bring me to the present moment. My mind tends to wander and when I catch it I bring it back to the breath.
I’ve tried to learn about meditation various ways – attended group meditations, read books, listened to lectures and interviews, etc. I am definitely still a beginner and learning as I go but I do know that it affects me in very positive ways.
What pieces are part of your daily uniform?
- A good trouser, a flat and a button down or knit.
- My favorite button down is by Sofie D’Hoore. She is the best at a button down as the fit, seams, and lines are truly the best.
- The flat I wear (as do all the Kick Pleat ladies) is by Martiniano. It is so good looking but is as comfortable as it is cute.
- I am a pant person, so I have a couple favorite trousers:
- Studio Nicholson: elevated menswear for women
- Issey Miyake: I love the pleating, movement, brilliant design and ease
- Apiece Apart Camilla pant: High waist, straight leg classic fit that can never go wrong
- Kamm Pant by Jesse Kamm: I call these the Kick Pleat jean. They are the perfect sailor pant. Often imitated, never duplicated.
- Caron Callahan Morris pant: Such a cool shape that is also very flattering.
I never leave the house without:
Do you stick to the same makeup and hair routine, or do you like to experiment?
I stick to the same routine. I like a best case scenario natural look – make up that looks like you’re not wearing any and hair that is your natural texture and a cut that works with the hair you’re born with. I don’t blow dry as I immediately look like a soccer mom so I let it dry naturally then use motion lotion by Kevin Murphy for a little texture. I like the Skinceuticals tinted sunscreen as my base, RMS concealer, mascara, a tinted color by Benefit for my cheeks, and Henne lip balm.
Lavender body oil
If you could only put on one item of makeup, what would it be?
Henne Lip Balm
One word to describe your mornings:
Sweet (because of my two babies)
Share this Post