Do you ever have one of those days when you want to make a healthy, delicious dinner, but have no desire to go to the grocery store and not much time to prepare something elaborate? What’s that? Pretty much every night? Me too. Enter my five-ingredient sheet pan chicken fajitas.
Don’t get me wrong, cooking is one of my favorite activities in the world, but lately, life has been so busy that doing anything that requires much effort feels more like a chore, and I’ve been working on my arsenal of quick, easy dinners that rely on staples I usually have on hand.
My current favorite answer to the “what to cook for dinner tonight” conundrum? These sheet pan chicken fajitas! I call them that because they are literally made completely on one sheet pan, and when you line that pan with foil or parchment paper, the dreaded after-dinner clean-up becomes nonexistent.
The key to making a recipe with only a few ingredients taste more complex is all in how you season it. This meal relies on boneless skinless chicken breast, bell peppers, and onions (doesn’t get more basic than that, people) but the McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix is the secret ingredient that brings it all together and makes these fajitas anything but bland. This spice pack is full of all the same herbs and spices I’d mix up myself, but so much quicker.
Mexican food often gets a bad rap for being greasy and heavy, and while that may be true at your local Tex-Mex joint, these fajitas prove that it can also be super clean and healthy. Making these on a sheet pan allows the use of minimal oils (just a tiny bit of olive oil before cooking), and McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix has no MSG or artificial flavors. And while a tortilla never hurt anyone, you could also make an amazing fajita salad by tossing this mixture with some shredded lettuce and pico.
For the toppings, we usually stick with the classics: guacamole, pico de gallo, cilantro, shredded cheese, and lime juice, but you could totally add sour cream, beans, rice, or pickled veggies if you want to get fancy with a full build-your-own fajita bar at your next party (how fun would that be?)
This post was originally published on September 29, 2016, and has since been updated.
- 1 large onion, cut into thick slices
- 2 bell peppers in any color, cut into thick slices
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" slices
- McCormick's Taco Seasoning
- flour or corn tortillas
- whatever toppings you like: guacamole, pico de gallo, cilantro, shredded cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, beans, rice, or shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 375. On a parchment-lined sheet pan, toss onion, bell pepper, and chicken with a drizzle of olive oil and 1/2 pack McCormick Taco Seasoning. Spread out in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Wrap tortillas in foil, and place in oven for last 5 minutes to warm.
- Serve with a platter of toppings so everyone can build their own. Eat!