Would you guys eat salad for breakfast? I have to admit that it’s something I would never have considered a couple years ago, but as I’ve gotten more into savory breakfasts (and started filling my smoothies with loads of spinach), suddenly the idea doesn’t seem so crazy. And there’s no doubt that starting things off with leafy greens, colorful veggies, avocado and a major dose of protein basically guarantees an incredible day ahead.
When I know I have a marathon day ahead, I need a breakfast that’ll keep me fueled up and feeling good for hours. I’ve been turning to salads packed with protein and veggies for a delicious meal that won’t cause a blood sugar crash.
For the latest post in our series with Blue Diamond Almonds (don’t miss my almond-mint pesto pasta or smoothie bowl brunch!) I created this colorful salad that is packed with the season’s best produce, plus just enough breakfast-friendly flavors to make it appealing early in the day (soft-boiled eggs and avocado, anyone?)
I’ve always been fascinated with the breakfast traditions of other cultures: in Japan, the day might start with rice, miso soup, and pickled vegetables; and I’ve always wanted to experience Israel’s mouthwatering spread of cheeses, hummus, bread, fruit, and salads. For this breakfast salad, I took inspiration from classic Mediterranean flavors, and the result is bursting with so much freshness that it might be (almost) as effective as coffee at energizing me for the day.
I make the quinoa and boil the eggs the night before so that in the morning, all that’s left to do is toss together the veggies, slice up some avocado, and sprinkle almonds and herbs over the top of it all. With a drizzle of olive oil and bright squeeze of lemon, of course! Keep reading for the recipe, as well as a fun contest opportunity below.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds, an official sponsor of USA Swimming. Visit www.LaneToGreatness.com for a chance to win $5,000 to fuel your dreams of greatness (whatever they may be), get a Blue Diamond Almonds coupon and recipes, and more!
*photos by Katie Jameson
- 4 eggs
- 10 cups arugula
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes and/or heirloom tomatoes cut into wedges (a mix is great!)
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled (here's how to make perfectly cooked quinoa)
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed herbs like mint and dill, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Start by cooking the eggs. For soft-boiled, bring a pot of water to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Gently lower eggs into water and let simmer for 6 minutes. Remove from water and run cold water over top to stop the cooking. Set aside and peel when ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, and quinoa. Drizzle a little olive oil over top, season with salt and pepper, then toss together.
- Divide salad among 4 plates. Top with sliced avocado and halved egg, then sprinkle herbs and almonds over top. Season with more salt and pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a final drizzle of olive oil. Eat!
Share this Post