for the chocolate cupcakes:
- 1 cup stout (Guinness)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
for the ganache filling:
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Irish Whiskey
for the Baileys frosting:
- 3 to 4 cups confectioner sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Baileys
for the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake cups with liners.
- Bring the stout and butter to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Cool.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sour cream together, adding the stout-chocolate mix to eggs to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Use a spatula to fold better until completely combined.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tin, filling cups about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake cakes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
for the filling:
- Chop the chocolate and transfer to heatproof bowl.
- Heat cream in a separate bowl until simmering and pour over chocolate. Let sit for one minute and stir until smooth.
- Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combined.
for the frosting:
- Whip the butter in bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add powdered sugar. When frosting is thick, drizzle in Baileys and whip until combined.
- Using a small round cookie cutter, cut out the center of the cupcake so there is a little crevice to fill with ganache.
- Place ganache into a piping bag and fill each cupcake hole to the top.
- In a separate piping bag, add the frosting and ice and decorate cupcakes as desired.
Share this Post