Have you ever been on vacation and had such an amazing meal that, for the rest of time, you feel transported back whenever you taste something similar? That’s what this drink does for me. A few years ago, Adam and I went to Cabo for a weekend getaway and ordered the day’s special from the poolside bar (is there anything better than sipping a frozen cocktail while submerged in a swimming pool? I think not.) It made an impression on both of us because of its outside-the-box flavor combo: puréed honeydew melon with spicy ginger and a kick of refreshing mint. When we got home, we promptly recreated the flavors as best we could remember in our blender, and ever since, we’ve adopted it as our specialty summertime cocktail.
photos by buff strickland When honeydew melons are overflowing farmers’ market stalls during the summer, I pick a fragrant one (want to know if a melon is ripe? it should smell sweet!), and when I get home, I peel it, remove the seeds and cut it into large chunks. I put them in a large baggie and pop into the freezer so I’m ready to mix up this baby when 5 o’clock strikes. It’s so refreshing, and I even loved sipping on the virgin version while I was pregnant — just sub in some lime-flavored sparkling water for the rum.What’s your favorite summertime cocktail? Let us know in the comments — we’ve only got a few more weeks to savor them before fall arrives! (*tear*) Keep reading for the recipe for this Honeydew Ginger Slush…
- 1/2 honeydew melon, peeled, seeded, and chopped into large chunks
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 ounces silver rum
- 1/2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1 cup ice cubes
- sparkling water (optional, to dilute the rum if desired)
- At least 2 hours before serving, freeze honeydew chunks.
- When ready to make, add frozen honeydew and all other ingredients to a blender. Blend on medium speed just until slushy (you don't want to completely purée -- it's better with some of those icy crystals remaining!)
- Pour into two glasses, add straws, drink up!