It’s already reaching 90 degrees here in Austin, so I think it’s safe to say that outdoor happy hour season has officially commenced.
When it comes to cocktails, tequila drinks are my go-to – so it’s fun to spice things up and add some new flavors for an extra kick. Plus, I try to avoid the excess sugar (and accompanied headache) from restaurant versions. I intend to spend my summer alternating between our team’s two favorite margarita recipes right now:
Check out Camille’s classic margarita here!
…and scroll on for my spicy grapefruit margarita recipe.
This spicy grapefruit margaritas came to me out of necessity one weekend when I was at the lake with my family. We all wanted a margarita, but were down to our last few limes.
I decided to get crafty with the untouched grapefruit we had stashed in the fridge, and when I brought out a few of these spicy grapefruit margaritas instead, nobody was mad by my updates to the classic.
I’ve been eyeing all of the vibrant, in-season citrus at the supermarket lately, and bonus points that the grapefruit juice here adds an extra punch of vitamin C, plus the perfect combo of tart and sweet that I crave. Plus, if you like your drinks on the spicier side, the jalapeño adds some heat to this refreshing cocktail.
- 2 oz. silver tequila
- 2 oz. fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1 oz. topo chico (optional)
- ¼ sliced jalapeño (depending on how spicy you prefer)
- lime and grapefruit slices for serving
- Chop a jalapeño into small slices
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add 2-3 jalapeño slices (include seeds if you like a spicier margarita).
- Add the tequila, grapefruit, lime juice and agave nectar.
- Shake well and strain into a salted glass.
- (optional) top with a splash of topo chico
Share this Post