For the chicken
- 3 lbs chicken tenders
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil a baking sheet.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken tenders.
- Whisk the eggs and buttermilk in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix crushed cornflakes, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper in another bowl.
- Dip chicken tenders in egg mixture and coat with the cornflakes. Pat down the flakes on the chicken tenders so they stick.
- Lay tenders on baking sheet and drizzle 2-3 tbsp of melted butter oven chicken.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and crispy.
For the waffles
- 1/4 oz package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- melted butter for greasing waffle iron
- In a small bowl, stir together yeast and water. Let it stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. In a medium bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, salt, and sugar. Add yeast mixture to eggs and milk, then whisk in dry ingredients. Whisk in melted butter. Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir baking soda into waffle batter. Preheat stovetop waffle iron on medium low heat and brush lightly with butter. Pour roughly 1/3 cup batter onto waffle iron and cook about 3 minutes for the first side.
- Open waffle iron and sprinkle cheddar cheese on the uncooked half and cover with more batter. Close and flip the waffle iron to cook second side, about 3 minutes.
- Flip once more to cook for another 2 minutes, and again flip for other side to cook another 2 minutes. Keep finished waffles warm in the oven in a single layer, so they stay crisp.
Share this Post