Chaat chaat chaat! When we would attend a family friend’s party growing up, one of my mom’s friends would make a big plate of chaat to eat and it would be gone so fast. Even the second tray she made would go just as quickly. It’s a true party trick meal. You can prep this papdi chaat recipe ahead of time and store in serving bowls, and then set everything out at once so people can make their own bowl of chaat, kind of like a DIY chaat bar.
When my mom visited Minneapolis a few years ago, we invited Kristin and Mark over and she made a huge tray of chaat to share with both of them. It was fun to recreate that meal at this special celebration. Papdi chaat is a few component pieces that come together to create what I consider flavor magic. Priya Krishna wrote one of my favorite articles on Bon Appétit all about chaat.
Keep reading to make this papdi chaat recipe for yourself—it’s the crispy sweet, spicy and tangy appetizer you’ve been looking for! We guarantee your guests will be coming back for more (and I mean, who can blame them, papdi chaat is delicious!)
15 minutes minutes
- papdis (homemade or storebought)
- 3-4 red potatoes, microwaved and cubed
- boondi, soaked and drained
- chopped red onion
- chopped jalapenos
- chopped cilantro
- regular yogurt, thinned with a little water
- mint and cilantro chutney - storebought works great
- tamarind chutney - storebought works great
- chaat masala
- bhuna jeera (roasted cumin seeds)
- pinch of salt
- Add everything to a bowl in desired quantities, stir to combine, enjoy!
Share this Post