This recipe is from the #CSCleanse. Check out the entire week of menus right over here!
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- almond or soy milk
- optional toppings: maple syrup, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds, mixed berries, coconut flakes
- In a pot, combine oats, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Add vanilla extract. Partially cover and cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from heat and add toppings to taste!
*alternate method #1: To shorten cooking time, soak oats in water overnight in the fridge. In the morning, they'll take only about 10 - 15 minutes to cook!
**alternate method #2: I often let the oats simmer for about 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave covered on the stove for an hour while I go workout. When I get home, the water is absorbed and the oats are ready to eat!
***The oatmeal will keep, covered in the fridge, for up to 4 days. Gently rewarm before serving, and stir in a little extra almond milk or water to loosen it up.