*photos by Buff Strickland
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 head kale, stems removed and leaves cut into thin ribbons
- 1 head broccoli, florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 firm-but-ripe avocados
- crumbled goat cheese or feta
for the orange-sesame vinaigrette
- zest and juice from 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the sweet potatoes with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then spread out on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, tossing once or twice during cooking, until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the vinaigrette and prep all the other ingredients. Whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients, then pour a teaspoon or two over the kale in a large bowl. Use your fingers to massage the dressing into the kale for about 1 minute, then allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to package directions, or I always use this foolproof method from The Kitchn.
- When the sweet potatoes are about halfway done, you'll want to add the broccoli to the oven. Toss the broccoli with a little olive oil, salt & pepper, then spread out on a foil-lined baking sheet and let roast for 15 minutes, until crisp tender and edges are turning golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To assemble the bowl, toss the quinoa with a little of the vinaigrette, and distribute between 4 bowls. Top with roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli, a handful of kale, avocado, and a sprinkle of goat cheese. Drizzle a little vinaigrette over the top of each bowl, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, and eat!
Share this Post