Is there an unspoken rivalry between tacos and burritos, or did I make that up? In my mind, one has always existed between the two, and I’ve been team taco all the way. Historically I’ve found burritos to be too big, and the kind of food that makes you painfully full once you finish, so I never gave the West Coast version of my beloved breakfast taco a chance. That is, until Camille encouraged me to whip up this recipe.
The filling is vegan: a scramble of tofu, pinto beans and quinoa — all things I love — and the combination of spices and sauces that they all get mixed with make for such a good flavor. I also love the idea of making this tofu scramble on a Sunday for burritos, and enjoying it as the base of a burrito bowl or a salad on Meatless Monday and beyond. Yummy.
Making the scramble is the only “recipe” part of this recipe. Once that’s done, all you have to do is layer it with refreshing, Mexican-inspired ingredients inside a burrito wrap. We added shredded cheese, shredded romaine lettuce, avocado, a few dollops of sour cream, cilantro, and lots of zesty lime juice, which all add creaminess and brightness to the cooked tofu mixture. Now for the real test…
Rolling your first burrito is intimidating! Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it. I like to fold the sides in first, then roll the wrap as tightly as possible. It might feel loose at this point, but that’s why we grill it on both sides to get everything set, plus, the cheese gets melty too. Sound delicious? That’s because it is! Find the detailed recipe below.
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- pinch of salt as needed
- burrito-style whole wheat wraps
- shredded romaine
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- shredded Mexican cheese
- sour cream
- squeeze of lime juice
- Sauté onions and garlic until softened, then add tofu, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tamari, lime juice, and nutritional yeast. Sauté for 3 minutes, then add beans and quinoa. Cook until warmed through.
- Layer the tofu scramble with all other ingredients in the burrito wrap. To wrap, tuck in the sides, and carefully roll, then sear on each side on a hot skillet or grill pan to set. Cut in half and enjoy!