2015 may be the year of the toast, but I’ve been mashing avocado into bread for many years. It almost never gets old and the variations can go on for days (or even years). I love adding something crunchy (or green), and a bit of citrus to brighten it up.
Plus, a little olive oil drizzle goes a long way for taking this from breakfast to brunch. Especially on these colder, dark mornings, it never hurts to start with something lively.
- 2 thick slices gluten-free bread, toasted
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon or lime
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Flaky sea salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a small saucepan, add eggs covered in cold water. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover. Let sit for 15 minutes. Then remove eggs and add to a cold water bath for 5 minutes to cool.
- Once eggs are cooled, gently crack the shell and remove shells. Slice eggs crosswise in thin slices. Set aside.
- Divide ingredients between two toasts: Spread mashed avocado, then layer thinly sliced radish, and hard-boiled egg slices. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, quick squeeze of lemon juice, flaky sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Serve immediately.