When midday munchies strike, I have a habit of letting my healthy eating habits go downhill fast. Steel-cut oats for breakfast, spinach salad for lunch… a handful of peanut butter M&Ms for my afternoon snack? This year, I’ve resolved to makeover my snacking habits. But of course, a girl’s still got to satisfy her sweet tooth. Thankfully, I have this recipe for my favorite no-bake energy bites to help me out. Because yes: raspberry and cocoa is a flavor match made in heaven.
Made with dates, these no-bake energy bites stand up to even the most intense sweet tooth. Plus, they’re packed with powerful ingredients like almonds, chia seeds, and antioxidant-rich cocoa. The best part? The addition of freeze-dried raspberries adds a layer of indulgence that, I swear, makes them taste exactly like a raspberry chocolate bar.
And while I created these with afternoon snacking in mind, feel free to reach for these no-bake energy bites any time of the day. They make a great breakfast on the go for those of us who crave something light in the morning, and lately, I’ve even been treating myself to one in the evenings when I’m winding down, but my sweet tooth is begging for just a little something chocolate-ly. (I will warn you though, if you’re sensitive to caffeine, avoid eating these guys post-dinner. The cocoa powder does pack a punch.) Enjoy!
In this article
Are energy bites good for you?
Yes! Energy bites are an extremely healthy (and surprisingly tasty) snack option for any time of day. Most energy bites contain protein, fiber, iron, and complex carbs, making them a great alternative to a bag of chips or a store-bought granola bar. They’re also a great source of healthy fats, which play a crucial role in nutrient absorption.
No-Bake Energy Bites Ingredients
- Medjool dates. These small fruits bring a caramel-like taste to these no-bake energy bites. Think of them as a natural sweetener with a chewy, flavorful texture.
- Raw almonds. Raw almonds are always a great added crunch in any recipe.
- Dried raspberries. Dried or not, raspberries are always a great pop of fruit flavor.
- Unsweetened, shredded coconut. For the coconut texture you know and love, without all of the added sugar.
- Cocoa powder. With some natural caffeine, cocoa powder is a subtle and sweet energy boost.
- Chia seeds. An excellent source of fiber for better gut health and digestion.
- Almond extract. Aside from its almond flavor, almond extract is also a great source of antioxidants.
- Unsalted almond butter. Smooth and creamy, almond butter is a healthy ingredient that holds these no-bake energy bites together.
Tips to Make This Snack Your Own
These no-bake energy bites can be customized to your heart’s desire, so feel free to get creative! Some variations include:
- Omit the almond extract. If you’re not the biggest fan of extract flavors, swapping almond extract for vanilla extract, or simply omitting it, is an easy swap.
- Add additional ingredients. If you have some ingredients (such as walnuts, peanut butter chips, or spices) you’re dying to incorporate into your energy balls, feel free!
- Swap for a different nut or seed butter. There are plenty of substitutes for almond butter that would pair perfectly with the flavors in this recipe. Try cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, or peanut butter!
- Form into a different shape. These energy balls can easily be flattened into squares or rectangles for an on-the-go snack that won’t get squashed.
This post was originally published on January 25th, 2019, and has since been updated.
Share this Post