I hope that y’all had a wonderful Christmas and enjoyed plenty of time relaxing with family and friends and digging into leftover pie for breakfast (a once-a-year indulgence that is 100% worth it.) But if you’re ready to dip your toes back into real-life and hit the diet reset button after the holidays, this beet, avocado, and pistachio salad is for you. It’s light and clean without feeling the least bit deprivational, and I’ve brought it along to many a dinner party where it’s won over people who thought they didn’t like beets.
*photos by Ashleigh Amoroso
The ingredients in this salad were inspired by one that I had on a recent trip to New York at Augustine, the super pretty restaurant at The Beekman Hotel. I love their chopped chicken salad that’s full of lots of crunchy and creamy things like beets, avocado, roasted peppers, cucumber, feta, pistachios, and romaine.
I simplified the ingredient list but kept the stars of the show (beets, avocado, and pistachios) and added citrus since it’s so perfectly in season right now.
I love eating this salad for a light lunch or serving it as a family-style side dish at dinner. It’s SO good alongside roasted salmon or steak, and you really can’t beat that gorgeous color combo, amiright?
Keep scrolling for the recipe, and I’d love to hear what y’all are cooking up this week: are you kicking off the year with some lightened-up meals?
- 4 large (or 8 small) beets
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 small grapefruit
- 1 navel orange
- 3 tablespoons roasted shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon (or you could easily sub mint or basil)
- flaky salt (like maldon) and freshly ground black pepper
- zest and juice of one orange
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wrap the beets in a foil pouch, then roast in a 450-degree oven for about an hour, until a knife slides into a beet with no resistance. Set aside to cool, then use a paper towel to rub the skins off. Slice into wedges.
- Meanwhile, segment the citrus: peel and trim the ends from the orange and grapefruit. Using a paring knife, cut along the membrane on both sides of each segment. Free the segments and set them aside.
- In a serving bowl, combine the citrus slices and tarragon, and toss to combine. Tuck the avocado slices and beet wedges into the citrus in a pretty pattern, but don't toss in order to keep the presentation neat.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all the ingredients in a jar with a lid, and shake to combine. Drizzle over the salad ingredients, then top with pistachios. Eat!
Share this Post