For the crust
- 1 cup & 2 tbsp flour
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 3 tbsp firm cold butter
- 3 tbsp lard
- 2-5 tbsp cold milk
- Put flour and salt in bowl. Using your hands, cut butter and lard into flour, working quickly so the butter doesn't melt. Rub flour and lard through fingertips until mixture is fine and fats are pea sized.
- Start adding the milk 1 tbsp at a time while still working the dough with your hands until the dough just comes together. The less milk you use, the flakier the crust will be. Do not overwork the dough.
- Once a rough lump has formed, place in the fridge while making the custard and working the fillings. When the custard and fillings are ready, pull dough from the fridge.
- Roll dough out gently on a floured surface and line your quiche dish. Cut away excess dough. Prick with a fork and fill.
For the custard
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp nutmeg
Mix ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
For the filling
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 cup feta crumbles
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté spinach in oil and vinegar with salt and pepper until wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain spinach in a paper towel.
- In a pastry lined quiche dish, spread the cheese, tomatoes, and spinach in an even layer. Pour peeped custard over the fillings.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until the custard has puffed and the pastry is golden brown. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Share this Post