This recipe does not yield your average, #basic avocado toast. It’s chunky, whole avocado spread across deliciously toasted whole wheat bread, drizzled with olive oil and topped with chili flakes. This is a Two Hands NYC brunch staple, and for good reaso. Seriously, New Yorkers will wait an hour plus line for brunch at this laid-back Aussie joint smack dab in the middle of NYC. Cheers, mates!
Two Hands NYC Smashed Avocado Toast
- 2 large slices crusty, chewy sourdough bread, preferably whole wheat
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pit removed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Flaky salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Half a lemon or lime.
- Poached or fried eggs
- Thinly sliced pickled or fresh red chiles, such as Fresno
- Thinly sliced pickled red onions
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sesame seeds, or both
- Herbs, such as basil, cilantro, mint or baby arugula.
- Toast the bread to your liking. Meanwhile, use a wide spoon to remove the avocado halves from the peel, keeping them in large pieces.
- Drizzle the hot toast lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Let cool slightly, then place one avocado half on each slice of toast.
- Use the back of a fork to roughly mash the avocado into the bread, keeping it as chunky as possible.
- Sprinkle with a little more salt, and pepper if desired.
- Squeeze the citrus over the top and add any garnishes.
- Cut each piece of toast in half if they're large and serve immediately.
Share this Post