Some mornings I can’t quite muster up the energy for pancakes or something more involved than eggs & toast. It’s days like that where the simplest additions like wild mushrooms will go such a long way (for your meal and your mood.) Besides having that famous umami flavor that will transform any dish, Maitake mushrooms are a nutritional powerhouse. I doubt you’ll even notice how healthy this is, because it tastes too good to care. Perfect for slow mornings on slow weekends when you need a special touch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 oz. maitake mushrooms
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large bunch of kale, torn into pieces
- 4 sprigs of thyme, de-stemmed
- 1/2 lemon juice
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- Add olive oil and garlic cloves over medium heat. Stir often for 1-2 minutes, the add mushrooms and thyme. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add kale and squeeze lemon juice, sauté for 3-4 minutes or until begins to soften a bit.
- Make room in the pan and crack 2 eggs. Change heat to low and cook for 7-8 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are still soft. Add mushrooms back into the pan. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.
Share this Post