From Marnie, owner of MOD Fitness: Summer comes early for us in Texas, so we like to incorporate these fat-blasting moves at MOD Fitness during the spring to increase your heart rate and tone the entire body. Grab your stopwatch and do each of these exercises for one minute, then repeat the set twice for a quick 10-minute workout that will make you feel swimsuit ready in no time!
- Start in a forearm plank on your mat. Elbows are directly under shoulders, forearms and palms press into your mat with your toes curled under and back flat. Pull your abdominals in to engage your core and press your heels back to engage your thighs.
- Press up into a straight arm plank by extending your right and left arm straight with your hands under your shoulders.
- Lower back down into a forearm plank for 1 rep. Repeat for one minute, alternating which side you lead with. For a modification you can lower to your knees.
Low Split Squat Jumps
- Start standing with your legs together and hands in prayer. Bend your knees and hinge forward from your hips into a low narrow squat. Keep your back flat and get as low as you can in the position to challenge your legs and glutes.
- Jump your feet outside your hips into a wide second position. Your feet should be outside your hips, toes pointed forward at 10 and 2 o’clock and upper body vertical with shoulders on top of hips. Keep your knees bent and inner thighs parallel to the floor.
- Jump your feet back into a parallel squat position for 1 rep. Repeat the exercise for one minute.
- Grab a light weight and lie on your mat with legs straight. Extend your arms overhead holding onto the weight with both hands.
- Engage your abdominals and exhale as you roll up by curling your head, shoulders and back off the mat. At the same time lift your legs and extend them out to 45 degrees. Reach the weight overhead and keep your collarbones wide.
- Slowly roll down and articulate your spine towards the mat until your back is flat, legs straight and arms are reaching overhead to complete one rep. Make sure you continue to inhale and exhale throughout the exercise.
- Repeat for 1 minute and repeat the entire set from the beginning for a full body workout that will get you ready for swimsuit season.
Tuck Jump Burpee
- Start on the ground in a straight arm plank. Place your hands directly under shoulders with legs straight, toes curled under and abdominals pulled in.
- Jump your feet forward towards your hands and raise your hips up in the air.
- Stand up and reach your arms overhead.
- Jump off the ground and tuck your knees into your chest, pulling your arms by your side. Gently land back on the ground with your feet under your hips and step or jump back to a straight arms plank. You can modify by taking the tuck jump out.
- Repeat for one minute.
- Start with your feet in a sumo squat position and your hands in prayer. Place your feet outside your hips, toes turned to 10 and 2 o’clock and your knees stacked on top of your ankles for proper alignment.
- Jump into a lunge with your left leg forward and right leg back. Quickly jump into a lunge on the other side with the right leg forward and left leg back. Make sure to keep your front knee in line with your ankle and back knee directly under your hips.
- Return back to a sumo squat for one rep. Do as many as you can in one minute and move on to the next set.
Share this Post