It doesn’t feel like long ago that I was sharing my 2021 resolution to break the script and have more fun, and now, here we are, welcoming 2022 to the scene. I know that resolutions can be polarizing, and I’m thankful that the “new year, new you” culture of years past has been replaced with one that’s more about self-love and acceptance. Still, I’m a big believer in setting goals in order to intentionally head in the direction of our dreams, and for me, the start of a new year is the most powerful time to do it. So this year, I wanted to share a tool that I created and have used to set my own intentions the past few years. It’s a simple document that helps me live more purposefully. I’ve adapted it as a Vision and Goal Setting Workbook that you guys can download and use to define your own “why”–and live 2022 more wholeheartedly!
In my vision deck, I define my top priorities for the year ahead in each area of my life: relationships, career, health, personal growth, spiritual, and financial. Then, I articulate one powerful thing I can do in each of those spheres to make the most traction towards my goal. It helps me visualize how I want the year to look in an organized way that I can revisit and remind myself of daily. For me, that visualization, plus a tactical plan for doing the work, is the secret to making real traction towards living our most fulfilled lives.
This practice also enables us to see our own transformation and celebrate our milestones. Quick personal example: one of my favorite parts of running a business is setting goals with my team, then seeing everyone use their unique strengths to achieve big things together. This year, we hit a major milestone on the site: over 100 million page views in 2021! Behind that number were late nights spent getting stories just right, recipes tested over and over again, countless zooms, long shoot days, making mistakes, learning from them and trying again. Big numbers are exciting, but even more thrilling is seeing the journey it took to get there and the personal growth each of us experienced in the process. Our goal-setting practice not only helped us define the goal, but it also helped us see how far we’d come. It wasn’t until I revisited the goals I’d set at the beginning of the year that I realized we’d surpassed them.
And that’s what this Vision Workbook is all about. It’s not about the finish line, it’s about the incredible personal growth that can happen over the course of a year. Our goals are simply roadsigns that show us the way–checkpoints that we’re headed in the right direction.
Here are a few tips on how to use this goal-setting workbook:
- Enter your email here to get a link to the workbook emailed directly to you.
- Make a copy, rename it for yourself, then use that copy to fill in your own intentions, goals, and dreams. You can delete my instructions and examples in your own copy—they’re only there to serve as a guide and spark your own ideas.
- Set a cadence for revisiting this document regularly. Save it somewhere you can access really easily, and don’t be afraid to edit and update as the year goes on.
- Monthly: I review the entire document and journal about how each goal is going and if I need to make adjustments.
- Weekly: I revisit my “people” list at least once a week to remind myself who I want to regularly check-in with.
- Daily: I write my mantra and my list of desired emotions on a note above my desk so I can intentionally bring that energy into my daily experience.
Please give me your feedback! I’d love to hear if this workbook is helpful for you, and if there are any other types of similar tools that you’d love to receive. Wishing each of you a great start to 2022–I hope it’s a year full of personal growth, joy, and fulfillment.
Share this Post