Read the full story: Entertaining with Cheetah is the New Black
for the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapple with juice
for the icing:
- 2 8oz packages brick cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour three 8″ round cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add milk and 1 tsp. lemon juice and let side for 5 minutes. This creates a buttermilk substitute.
- In a large bowl, add the buttermilk mixture, eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add in flour mixture and mix well.
- Using the now empty flour bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple. Add the carrot mixture into the batter and mix.
- Pour into the three prepared cake pans and gently tap on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 mins or until cake is baked through and springs back when you touch it.
- While cake is cooling, in a medium bowl cream together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until combined well. Add in vanilla and mix, then add in confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and store in fridge for at least 20 mins.
- To assemble, carefully remove cooled cakes from pans. Stack one layer on a plate or cake base, and spread with ? of the frosting. Add second layer and repeat. Add third and final layer, and pipe small dollops of frosting around the top edges with a frosting bag or strong Ziplock bag. To get the rustic ‘naked’ look, pipe a small line of frosting in between layers like you’re filling in the gap and then smooth and spread out with a flat knife.
- Serve immediately, or keep refrigerated until serving.