People tend to have strong feelings about their guacamole: there are the purists who demand little more than avocado, lime, onion, and cilantro… and then there are the creative versions with roasted corn, black beans — I’ve even tried a couple guacs topped with crab meat. Let’s be honest, I’d happily eat any of them, but I am pretty proud of my signature recipe. And turns out, so is Chanel. I challenged her to a Guacamole Face-Off, and the results were pretty delicious. Watch the video above to see which version was the crowd favorite, and if you’re looking for more fun recipe vids, don’t miss my superfood salmon salad, perfect roasted veggies, or the one when Chanel and I challenged each other to a breakfast smoothie face-off!
Scroll down for the recipe for my Ultimate Guacamole, and click here for Chanel’s Mango-Chipotle Guacamole recipe.
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1 fresh jalapeno, chopped (including seeds if you like it super hot)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 large Mexican Haas avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 c diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon queso fresco
- In a mortar and pestle, combine onion, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic. Using a paring knife, cut a crisscross pattern into the meat of the avocado, then use a big spoon to scoop the cubes into the mortar and pestle.
- Add lime juice and salt and mash everything together. I like to leave a rough consistency, but if you prefer a smoother texture, purée in a blender.
- Gently fold tomatoes into the guacamole. Sprinkle with queso fresco, and serve.
Share this Post