ed. note: Join me in welcoming our newest contributor Alison Dulaney-Engstrom, of the lovely Rose & Ivy Journal. I’m a huge fan of her work and so happy that she’ll be stopping by to share lush seasonal recipes, as well as scoping out some of the chicest people in NYC to interview for Camille Styles. We’re kicking off her summer food series with a drool-worthy flatbread that I’d happily devour for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Welcome Alison!
I am absolutely thrilled that summer is almost here! It means enjoying the warm weather outdoors and relishing in a meal that is fresh and delicious using seasonal ingredients from the market. I love anything with flowers on it, so when I saw a large bunch of flowering broccoli rabe, I knew that I had to incorporate it into a meal. Broccoli rabe is a superfood that is chocked full of vitamins and minerals and while eating it raw might be too bitter for some, incorporating it with something like garlic offsets that taste.
This recipe for Broccoli Rabe, Roasted Garlic and Ricotta Flatbreads is perfect for a crowd or an easy dinner at home, which includes creamy ricotta infused with roasted garlic and topped with flowering broccoli rabe. After coming out of the oven and just before serving, top with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. It’s summer in a bite!
For the Flatbread:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 packet of yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for working surface
- Olive oil
For the Topping
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 1/2 cups good quality ricotta
- Broccoli Rabe, trimmed into pieces with flowers if available
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved for garnish
- Lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
To Prepare the Dough
- Generously oil a medium bowl with olive oil, set aside.
- Mix yeast with warm water and let set for two minutes, whisk until foamy. Add flour and salt and stir to combine.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 4 to 5 minutes. Dough will be sticky.
- Place into oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let set for at least 3 hours or overnight in a warm place.
- Once set, flour working surface and knead for another five minutes. Place in bowl and allow to raise for 1 hour.
To Prepare the Topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the top of a garlic bulb and place in foil. Drizzle with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 to 50 minutes or until cloves are soft. Let cool before handling.
- Place ricotta into bowl and gently squeeze roasted garlic into ricotta. Stir to combine. Add salt, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil. Set aside.
To Assemble Flatbread
- Keep oven heated at 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, set aside.
- Flour a working surface. Divide dough into 3 parts. Either using a rolling pin or your hands, stretch dough until it forms desired shape (circle or rectangle). Spread a healthy layer of roasted garlic and ricotta mixture on the bottom of the dough. Arrange broccoli rabe on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Before serving, squeeze with lemon, a drizzle of olive oil and freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. Garnish with broccoli rabe flowers or any herb flower, if desired.
Share this Post