- 1 cup masa harina corn flour (We like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4-1 cup warm water
- 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups seasonal vegetables, chopped (see seasonal list)
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (cheddar or Monterey Jack)
- 1 recipe of guacamole in a bag
Make corn tortillas:
- Mix salt with masa marina corn flour.
- Slowly pour water into the flour and mix using a spoon or spatula knife.
- The dough should be firm and springy when touched, not sticky or dry. Divide dough into golf ball-sized balls and set aside.
- Press dough between two pieces of wax paper. Flatten using a tortilla press or rolling pin.
- Heat griddle or pan on medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Place tortillas on griddle and cook for about 1 minute. Flip and cook other side for about 30 seconds.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Assemble and Bake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place tortillas on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Set out bowls of sautéed/chopped veggies, beans and cheese. Using clean hands, let kiddos add toppings.
- Place in oven until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Top with homemade guacamole and serve.
- For an easier recipe, bake pre-made corn tortillas in the oven until crispy. Add toppings and serve.