This recipe is from the #CSCleanse. Click here for the entire week’s menu!
Y’all, I love this recipe so much. It’s been my breakfast on repeat lately, and making a big pot of it at the beginning of the week really makes me feel like I have my stuff together.
In the winter, there’s something incredibly nourishing about starting the day with a warm cozy bowl of oats.
But you know what I don’t love? When those oats are processed, full of dairy, and with enough added sugar to turn a healthy breakfast into one that leaves you with a blood sugar crash by 10am.
Enter this Superfood Oat Porridge that packs healthy fats and proteins into the base recipe and the toppings to balance out the complex carbs of the oats. My breakfast philosophy comes courtesy of nutritionist Kelly LeVeque, who teaches that in order to stabilize blood sugar, we need the Fab 4: protein, fat, fiber, and greens. She puts hers in a smoothie; and during these cold months, I like to put mine in a warm comforting bowl of porridge.
The savory version has lightly wilted spinach, avocado, sriracha, and sesame seeds. And yes, you can put an egg on it if that’s your jam.
The sweet version has toasted almonds, blueberries, and coconut flakes.
Make a big batch of the porridge on Sunday night, then it’s ready to rewarm and add toppings on even the busiest of workweek mornings. Scroll on for the recipe…
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup nut milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup spinach, wilted (I sauté in olive oil for about a minute.)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Mix oats, milk, and pinch of salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chia seeds and remove from heat.
- Top your bowl of oats with your choice of savory or sweet toppings and enjoy.
Share this Post