I live for this time of year. It’s basically 2 months devoted to making and baking everything I love for the people I love.
It means getting my DIY on and inviting all my favorite people over to just spend some quality time together. And while I it’s fun to get fancy for a few special gatherings this season, overall, I’m still about keeping it simple (and finding ways to minimize the number of dishes at the end of the night.)
Enter, the easiest appetizer ever.
Now we all know I love a good cheeseboard. It’s all about assembling a board of amazing quality ingredients that can be shining stars on their own while also pairing just as well with their counterparts. I know it sometimes seems intimidating to assemble a cheeseboard, but more often than not, I have most of the ingredients stocked in my fridge or pantry. I’ve always got mixed nuts that I can quick toss in little bowls, there’s usually some dried fruit hanging around in my pantry, and my kitchen isn’t complete without some kind of cracker or bread.
And while I would never complain about a cheeseboard at any time of year, I definitely feel like stepping up my game during the holidays, making even impromptu holiday gatherings feel a bit more special.
This upgraded cheeseboard starring baked feta is most definitely a new favorite.
It’s incredibly simple, looks impressive, and tastes even better. Plus, I love that this feta can take a cheeseboard to the next level, or stand alone as the perfect appetizer.
To assemble, just add a block of feta to a baking dish, top with olive oil, herbs, lemon, and capers, and bake! Feta isn’t a melty cheese by any means, but by baking it, the cheese becomes extra creamy and spreadable. The saltiness of the feta is toned down just slightly, and the flavors of a rich olive oil with the tangy capers and lemon really take this over the edge.
Not gonna lie, I could just eat this with a fork, straight out of the baking dish. It’s that good, and I promise you that friends will rave. How can something so simple be so delicious? Chew on that for a sec, and scroll on for the recipe.
- 1 8oz block of feta cheese
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 2 tbsp of capers
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- pinch of salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- about 1/2 cup of good olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small oven safe baking dish, place the block of feta cheese.
- Top the cheese with the lemon juice, lemon slices, capers, rosemary, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour over the olive oil. Make sure the cheese gets coated, though it doesn't need to be completely submerged.
- Place the cheese into the oven and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes. (optional*, turn on the broiler for five minutes if you want a little golden brown char, but this isn't necessary)
- Remove from oven, and serve the cheese warm with crackers, crostini, or other favorite options. Enjoy!