At our Los Angeles shoot for her How I Gather interview, Olivia Muniak served this white bean and raddichio salad as the centerpiece to a family-style grazing menu. Don’t be fooled by the simple list of ingredients—I can attest that the combination of bitter greens, creamy white beans, and salty parm is downright addictive. Make this for an Italian-inspired aperitivo gathering, or serve it alongside grilled meat or fish as a delicious side. However you serve it, this white bean and raddichio salad is a must for summer entertaining. Scroll on for the recipe, and don’t miss our interview with Olivia, Dinner Party Dreams, Made.
- 1 c dried cannellini beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1 shallot diced finely
- 2 c chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ c dry white wine
- 1 head of radicchio, sliced into ribbons
- ¼ c of chopped chives
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- Olive oil
- Flaky sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Drain the soaked beans. In a medium pot add a tablespoon of olive oil, and sweat the shallots, add the beans and a pinch of salt. Then add the wine and cook until the liquid is reduced to half. Pour in the chicken stock over the beans and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Once the beans are al dente, drain from the stock and set aside to cool. If the stock boils off before the beans are tender, add water and continue to do this until the beans are cooked.
- Toss the beans and radicchio together in a large bowl. Add a fresh squeeze of lemon and the lemon zest, toss and then add the olive oil and chives. Garnish with shavings of parmigiano reggiano cheese, flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Share this Post