We first fell in love with Monique Otero after following her on Instagram (@brunchpants) where she documents easy, gorgeous recipes and her travels around the world. After moving cross-country from NYC to LA earlier this year, Monique invited us out to the beach for a picnic to welcome summer. It was the most perfect beach day in (even more perfect) Malibu, complete with sun, sand, strawberry shortcake, chilled pea soup, colorful hummus boards, and refreshing paloma cocktails.
We couldn’t resist sharing these three types of hummus she whipped up for the occasion, and turns out they’re the perfect way to kickoff any summertime gathering.
Scroll down for the recipes, and let us know which one you’re dying to try!
When hosting a dinner party, Monique says she always lays out appetizers and cocktails first, so guests are entertained if she’s busy finishing up some last minute cooking. We’re loving her three flavors of hummus: original, red pepper, and cilantro lime (and all can be prepped in advance.) Each version contains enough flavor to shine on its own, but you can also serve up a little of each as a trio sampler. Add a side of pita chips, crackers, or fresh crudité for the perfect appetizer spread.
- 3 cans chickpeas
- 6 gloves garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 9 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 cups of water
- 1 can roasted red peppers
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 fresh limes
- Put all of the ingredients (except red peppers, cilantro, and limes) in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Take out 2/3 of the mixture and set aside in two separate bowls.
- Add red peppers to the remaining 1/3 of the mixture in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the red pepper hummus and set aside.
- Clean out the food processor and add 1/3 of the plain hummus mixture back into the blender.
- Add the cilantro and lime and blend until smooth.
- Chill 3 versions of hummus until ready to serve.