One thing I miss about living in Texas is the rain. While sunny, 75-degree LA weather is great, there are times when all I want to do is curl up and listen to the rain on my roof. However, when it does rain, I feel like all of my plans are put on hold. It can be hard to be productive when all I want to do is lie around and watch movies. I also tend to avoid driving in the rain whenever possible, further limiting things to do on a rainy day.
While I’ve been daydreaming about afternoon thunderstorms, I’ve come up with a list of things to do on a rainy day that are both cozy and productive. After all, if I’m going to be staying in, I might as well make the most of it! From the movie marathons I crave to the closet clean-outs I avoid, here is the ultimate list of things to do on a rainy day to help you stay entertained through the drizzle or downpour.
Featured image by Kristen Kilpatrick.
Get the goods.
Gatherings, food, design, wellness, and more—it's the newsletter you'll actually want to read.
Thanks for Signing Up!
Looks like you’re already signed up or your email address is invalid.
Looks like you unsubscribed before click here to resubscribe.
25 Things to Do on a Rainy Day
1. Break out the board games. There’s no better way to make time fly than with some good old-fashioned competition.
2. Curl up with a fiction book. If you can’t go outside, you might as well pretend you’re somewhere else. Here are our suggestions for books that feel like an escape.
3. Bake something indulgent. I can appreciate a good healthy dessert, but on a cozy, rainy day, only real-deal treats will do. Try my suggestions for recipes to bake when you’re bored—trust me: there’s something here for everyone.
4. FaceTime a long-distance friend. One of my favorite things to do on a rainy day is to call in some sunshine in the form of a good friend. Take this as your sign to reach out to someone who might need some sunshine of their own.
5. Try a new recipe. Now that you’re essentially stuck at home (if you’re like me and driving in the rain is your worst nightmare), you have no excuse not to cook dinner. If you’ve yet to try Camille’s tortilla soup recipe, it pairs perfectly with the rain.
6. Have a 90s movie marathon. I suggest starting with Sleepless in Seattle to really embrace the rainy mood. Check out the rest of our faves here.
7. Discover a new vacation spot via Google Maps. Zoom all the way out, close your eyes, and pick a spot on Google Maps. Zoom all the way in, and BOOM! You’ve got a new city to research. (Pro tip: If you end up in the ocean, go back to step 1.)
8. Organize your pantry. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Nine out of ten of you will quickly skip this one, but don’t neglect productive things to do on a rainy day! Try these tips to get you started.
9. Make a pile of clothes to give away. Even if you don’t actually make the drive to Goodwill, a rainy day is the perfect time to clear out some unwanted clothes.
10. Clean out your camera roll. Remember when you accidentally screenshotted your lock screen 10 times last month? Yep, it’s time to delete those.
11. Give yourself a facial. Don’t know where to start? Camille’s esthetician shared a spa-worthy routine you can copy here.
12. Wash your makeup brushes. This is one of those things that I know I should be doing, but never think to actually do. It’s one of those less-fun, but helpful things to do on a rainy day.
13. Try making homemade pizza dough. Now is your chance to try out Camille’s easy homemade pizza recipe. If the rain doesn’t seem to be stopping any time soon, take comfort that you’ll have plenty of time to let the dough sit.
14. Mix up a creative mocktail. It doesn’t need to be five o’clock to sip on something delicious! Skip the alcohol and whip up a tasty afternoon treat.
15. Try out a heatless hairstyle. If you’re going to be sitting in the house all day, might as well try out some crazy updo that *supposedly* will give you beach waves. After you give it a shot, be sure to report back.
16. Practice meditation. Find a calming space in your home, listen to the raindrops, and get your zen on.
17. Spend 10 minutes journaling. Grab a pen, some paper, and just let your brain dump. If you’re new to journaling, here are some prompts to get you started.
19. Rearrange a room in your house. This is one of my favorite things to do on a rainy day because it costs $0 and lets you express your creativity.
20. Karaoke your heart out. The neighbors won’t hear you over the thunder, anyways.
21. Order take-out from a restaurant you’ve been dying to try. Again, if it’s raining, I’m avoiding the roads. But instead of ordering pizza, try something new and exciting.
22. Watch and mimic a celebrity’s makeup routine. Even though I know I’ll never get it right, Hailey Bieber’s makeup routine is my favorite to attempt.
23. Search Facebook Marketplace for treasures. From furniture to records to kitchen appliances, Facebook Marketplace is a goldmine. Warning: this activity is highly addictive.
24. Give your nails some love. I’ve been fully embracing the naked nails trend, but whether it’s a simple, non-toxic manicure or a full nail makeover, your nails are the perfect thing to give some love to on a rainy day.
25. Have your Drew Barrymore moment and go dance in the rain. IYKYK. If you don’t, click here.
Share this Post